Here are some community based ideas for good deeds during Ramadhaan and particularly during the last 10 days Inshallah:
- Register for your local Eid Toy Drive so that kids without much family, money or support can receive some lovely gifts to make their day!
- Donate to your local Halal Food Bank so that you can earn the reward for feeding the poor and needy in your local community.
- Write to a Prisoner in Guantanamo or a Muslim in prison nearby.
- Feed people who are sleeping at the masjid and making I'tikaf. Make a simple dish and put into containers to give out.
- Make dried fruit, date & nut containers to give to the Masjid in the last 10 days for the people doing I'tikaaf.
- Whilst the brothers get to go to the Masjid for I'tikaf, perhaps sisters can gather at someone's house and have Iftar together, followed by congregational salah for Maghrib, Isha, Taraweeh and Tahajjud. The night can be broken up into sessions of Quran recitation, tafseer reading, thikr, Islamic discussion and more. Sounds like the perfect slumber party!
- Make bags of dates tied with ribbon and give with a fact sheet about Ramadhan to your local non Muslim school, library, gym, workplace etc. This fact sheet is great to use: Ramadan in a Nutshell for Non Muslims.
- When making sweets for Eid, nicely package some for your neighbours along with an info sheet or short message like this:
We are the ___________ family who live at ______________________ and you've probably noticed that we are Muslim. J
What you might not know is that Muslims all around the world are currently fasting from food & drink during the daylight hours for 30 days to mark the holy month of Ramadan. We’ve only got a few days left before it’s over and then we have our big Eid Celebrations.
We hope you enjoy some of our Eid sweets!
Thanks for being a great neighbour!
That's all I can think of for now. If you have any great suggestions please share in the comments box below!